AMTRA is a not-for-profit organisation, working since 1986 to support the long term future of the sector, managing the registration for about 7000 AMTRA RAMAs (Registered Animal Medicines Advisors / SQPs)
AMTRA is appointed by the Secretary of State to keep its Register, which brings associated responsibilities including an effective disciplinary process to take action in the case of anyone not following the Code of Practice, together with a mandatory system of CPD.
Additionally, AMTRA undertakes a number of other activities to support AMTRA RAMAs, helping to support and enhance the quality of AMTRA RAMAs, the service they provide to animal owners, and supporting their long-term future.
▪ working with Harper Adams University to develop and maintain a qualification syllabus at Higher Education Levels 4 and 5 which meets the needs of RAMAs and the requirements of the Secretary of State
▪ provision of information and advice to AMTRA RAMAs
▪ maintenance of the Register of AMTRA RAMAs (SQPs)
▪ monitoring and accreditation of continuing professional development for AMTRA RAMAs
▪ regulation of professional conduct (including powers to suspend registration or strike off the Register for misconduct)
AMTRA CF1: Registration and professional conduct of Suitably Qualified Persons (version 9, December 2021) – including the workings of the Professional Standards Committee
AMTRA CF2: Procedures for assessment of Suitably Qualified Persons and Instructions to Assessors (March 2016)
AMTRA CF3: AMTRA Board and AMTRA Council (March 2016)
AMTRA CF4: The role of the AMTRA Board, Council and Secretary General (March 2014)
AMTRA Memoranda and Articles of Association (September 2011)
Memorandum of Understanding between the Veterinary Medicines Directorate and AMTRA (January 2016) (version 2)