All AMTRA RAMAs are required to undertake Continuing Professional Development. The amount of CPD required depends on the type of RAMA and on when the RAMA qualified. With the exception of small amounts of personal study, all CPD must be accredited by AMTRA in advance. AMTRA will keep a record of CPD points accumulated by RAMAs, and those not achieving the required minimum will not be able to renew their RAMA registration unless they pass a fresh exam.
- Frequently asked questions about the AMTRA CPD Scheme
- CPD open to RAMAs
- Information for CPD organisers
CPD and Covid-19
For the moment, Covid-19 has put a stop to face-to-face CPD, though we are hopeful this will resume in the coming months.
In the meantime, there are lots of opportunities to gain CPD – online through recorded webinars and interactive material, and through the articles and associated multiple-choice questions provided through OvertheCounter and Equestrian Trade News, who both host material online too. Increasingly, traditional face-to-face CPD providers are now offering the same material via videoconferencing such as Zoom.
AMTRA does not plan to extend the CPD deadline beyond 30 June 2021.
Professionals were already turning to online CPD in growing numbers before Covid – over the years we've witnessed a 75% fall in attendance at the AMTRA/AHDA roadshows, for instance. Covid is thus accelerating an existing trend.
The benefits are clear:
- No travel requirements, saving time and money
- 24/7 access, allowing you flexibility of when to log in
- Being internet based, material can be accessed via laptops, tablets, smart phones
- A large choice of material supporting you in choosing what is most beneficial to you, rather than what happens to be available locally on a convenient day
Knowing what is available
The AMTRA website is always a good place to find that out – look for "CPD opportunities" on the RAMAs menu.
AMTRA doesn’t host CPD itself, so you don’t need to log in on the AMTRA website, but can visit to see what other providers are offering.
AMTRA-accredited CPD available to all
The SQP Training ELearning Portal from VBMS is the biggest source of online CPD. This isn’t part of AMTRA, but we work closely with VBMS, and they host four AMTRA modules for us.
The portal hosts accredited CPD from a variety of providers. While the options available vary at any one time, they currently offer:
- 65 Farm Animal CPD points
- 35 Equine CPD points
- 20 Companion Animal CPD points
If you aren’t getting those updates it will be because:
- AMTRA doesn’t have an email address for you, or
- You’ve opted out of AMTRA sharing your data with VBMS, or
- You were on the VBMS list but have been removed because you hadn’t used it for a period of time.
If you wish to check your log in details or register for access to the portal, please email your name and AMTRA number to [email protected]
These handy tips will help when using the SQPTraining portal:
- Log in via sqptraining.vbms-training.co.uk
- Note that this is NOT the same as the AMTRA website – you may have different passwords for the two websites.
- Most web browsers are supported and allow training to be accessed/completed. However, old versions of Microsoft Edge, with the icon shown below, will not allow courses to complete.
- If ‘old’ MS Edge is your default web browser, simply copy the web link in your invite email, or the link above, open an alternative web browser and paste it in the search bar. VBMS-Training recommend Google Chrome, as all courses are tested in Chrome prior to release.
- The majority of training courses have an accompanying voiceover, so make sure your speakers are turned on.
- CPD courses have locked navigation. You can only proceed once the contents of each page have completed.
- VBMS-Training portals include SQPTraining, BASIS Classroom, Feed Advisors Register, plus a number of corporate based training portals. Users registered with the same email address in these portals can access all of their accounts with a single email/password combination. Please note if you change your password in one VBMS-Training portal, it changes in all of your VBMS-Training portals.
- CPD points for completed courses are automatically reported to AMTRA, updated in your AMTRA account and visible in your CPD points update from AMTRA, or via AMTRA’s website log in. Please allow up to 6 weeks for the points to show in your account.
AMTRA and SCOPS have worked together to produce four modules on sheep parasite control with an emphasis on responsible use, dealing with anthelmintic resistance, and the SCOPS guidelines.
All farm-animal RAMAs are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to refresh knowledge and make sure you are fully up to date with the guidance from SCOPS – following which is required by the Code of Practice.
These are available through the VBMS training portal described above.
OvertheCounter has CPD modules in each issue of the magazine, usually worth 2 CPD points each, and a good way to keep the points coming in during the year.
(If you’re not getting OTC magazine, it is probably because you’ve opted out AMTRA sharing your data with OTC – check on your AMTRA record on the AMTRA website, or get in touch with AMTRA.)
An archive of past modules across a wide range of subjects is also on their website at overthecounter.news. Also watch out for their CPD conferences which complement the magazine and website provision.
|Veterinary Medicines CPD from Veterinary Prescriber. Succinct e-modules on companion-animal medicines from an independent source. We offer a wide range of modules that will help you develop confident product knowledge and give pet owners the best advice. Each module is worth 2 AMTRA points. Subscribe for £7.50 per month for access to the full library of modules and a new one every month. cpd.veterinaryprescriber.org|
|Beaphar have a wide range of companion-animal accredited CPD modules available. We are committed to providing RAMAs with the latest information and training on animal health, and are constantly reviewing our content to ensure we provide a diverse and comprehensive selection of CPD. Simply visit www.beaphar.co.uk then click on 'Training Zone' in the top right and either login or set up an account|
|A new RAMA online training school dedicated to providing RAMAs in the animal health industry with the the latest information to enhance animal health and behaviour knowledge. Simply register with your RAMA number to access the current canine and feline behaviour modules worth a total of 8 AMTRA points. Get your additional CPD points today by visiting www.cevacpd.co.uk|
|CPD articles and quizzes in some editions - some of the previous CPD is available on their website.|
|Monthly parasite forecast and disease bulletin gaining CPD points - available via their website.|
|ONCORE online course: Practical Infection Control Suitable for: Vets, vet nurses, students. Those in a leadership position in practice looking to update infection control protocols would also benefit from this course. Course duration: 3 weeks (8 hours flexible/self-directed study time in total) Course type: Fully supported interactive online|
|BSAVA Dispensing course: Practical Infection Control This course meets the RCVS practice standards veterinary hospital Dispensing course requirements and is ideal for the new PSS Medicines Award CPD requirement. It is also AMTRA accredited and carries 41 AMTRA CPD points. It is suitable for Vets, Vet Nurses and other staff who deal with the dispensing of medicines and the pharmacy.|